Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Lot of Fluff

 

Today I wish to share with you a tip for creating a type of flocking for your creations. It is really simple and fun to do and will open up new ways to embellish your artwork without a lot of expense.

Fluff

Supplies:
    Styrofoam Balls (Unknown)
    Snack Bags (Ziploc)
    Inks

Directions:
Working over a clean surface, rub the two styrofoam balls against each other to turn them into a dust like consistency. I worked over a zipper style sandwich bag so all the fluff could be caught without a big mess. A cheese grater with a fine tooth could also be used but I am all for what is quick and easy.

To color -
Place the dust into a snack bag. Add a drop of ink and toss the dust until well covered, adding more ink as needed. Allow to dry before using.

For my fluff I experiemented with three different forms of color, I found the Lumiere to produce results I liked the best. Being an acrylic paint it dried a lot quicker, however it did not cover as well as the dye ink. The spray covered quickly and pretty good but was slow to dry. The dye ink, which is the recommended way of coloring the fluff dried slowly but provided the most complete coverage in color. I recommend experimented with the inks you have at home to discover which way is the best for your projects.


For the wings on this card I went with a plain white. Attach the fluff with a wet glue, I used Diamond Glaze, I love the stuff, but I have heard Zip Dry works well also.

Hope you have fun fluffing it up!

11 comments:

  1. Jennifer, this turned out wonderful, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Jennifer! You beat me. I have all the ingredients to try this out, but of course they are sitting here waiting for me to actually begin....
    Nice art as well!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great great card and I didn't know about making flock like this. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Gonna have to dig out my styrofoam :-) Awesome Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'LL HAVE TO GIVE THIS A TRY WHEN THE FLOCK RUNS OUT GREAT IDEA!!
    tERESAXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the project Jennifer. The extra photos are really excellent help too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Jennifer! I love all the cool details and embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous Jennifer! I never thought about flocking the wings. Just perfect- thanks for the tips to make my own!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab card Jennifer, thanx for sharing how you did it.
    (hugs)
    Trish (-:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card and fantastic tip! I had never heard of doing that! Thank You! :-)Traci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card Jennifer!! Thanks for the tip!!
    Hugs:)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete